Keene radio host Ian Freeman jailed over couch

Nationally syndicated radio talk show host Ian Freeman will spend 100 days in jail because he questioned the legitimacy of a system which would penalize him for having a couch in his yard and conduct his trial in secret.

Keene resident Nick Ryder wrote on the Free Keene blog that the courtroom at Freeman’s trial Friday afternoon at Keene District Court in Keene, N.H., was stacked with police “to try and outnumber the liberty activists.”

Judge Edward Burke had hardly arrived in the courtroom before ordering Freeman jailed for 30 days for contempt of court and the proceedings moved to another room where spectators would not be allowed to hear what happened.

When word finally filtered out of the closed proceeding, Freeman had somehow gotten two more 30-day sentences for contempt and 10 days for refusing to pay a fine for having an illegal couch. The official reasons for the contempt charges were not immediately clear.

“It was oppressive,” said Dale Everett, 40, of Keene. “They had a notice posted obviously targeting us, liberty activists, saying that anyone who didn’t stand for the judge would be ‘subject to sanction.’ So I left. I wasn’t prepared to get arrested today.”

Freeman is the owner and host of the Free Talk Live radio show, which airs six nights a week on approximately 45 radio stations nationwide. Free Talk Live is an open format show, where callers can bring up any topic, with no caller refused. The hosts bring a libertarian perspective to the ensuing conversations.

The controversy began in August when Keene housing inspector Carl Patten visited Freeman’s duplex, half of which he rents out, and cited him for a couch on his tenants’ side of the yard.

Freeman said at the time he did not believe the city had a right to tell him whether he could have a couch on his yard. The couch was decorated for Halloween, complete with a pumpkin and lounging scarecrow.

After refusing to pay the fine and being threatened with arrest at his first hearing, Freeman attempted to negotiate with the city.

Patten claimed that he cited Freeman after receiving a complaint. Freeman said he would remove the couch if given an opportunity to speak to the original complainant, “like an adult, instead of calling in men with guns.” The city refused and demanded he come to trial Friday, where he was jailed for contempt almost immediately.

“The Judge sees himself as royalty,” wrote Jim Johnson of Winchester on the New Hampshire Underground forum, “no one may question or disrespect his benevolent self.”

Code enforcement activity has been on the rise nationwide with the failing economy reducing local governments’ revenues and local bureaucrats desperately trying to take money from anywhere they can get it, using any excuse.

Free Talk Live recently interviewed one victim of code enforcement, 83 year old Ageda Camargo of La Quinta, Calif., who is being harassed by bureaucrats there over a garage which was converted into a bedroom decades ago, before she bought the house.

When the laws are unjust, as the vast majority of today’s laws are, then a court of law will dispense injustice. Freeman’s protest of the injustice done to him has not gone unnoticed. Many liberty activists have said the court’s action has motivated them to get even more involved.

“The tyranny was stifling,” Everett said. “It’s the kind of experience that makes you rethink everything. And just to be clear, I don’t mean rethinking everything in terms of backing off. Quite the opposite.”

This article was originally published at Homeland Stupidity.

1. UNBELIEVABLE

OUTRAGEOUS

it makes me see red

2. Dugg

3. Dugg

4. Unbelievable… Just shows you the corruption in this world…

5. You confused me (Nick Ryder) with Nick M. no big deal.

6. Are judges elected in New Hampshire? If this judge is an elected official, I hope that all of the Liberty activists mount a massive campaign to get him defeated next time (if judges are elected in NH).

I think this will just escalate the protests and probably end up with the judge losing his seat. I also bet he will be forced to back down and let Freeman out early due to enormous community backlash.

7. Dugg.

I find this behavior by the judge to be absurd. Obviously, many more people need to do many more things of this sort and fill their jails with non-violent criminals. And do other things to protest this absurd and self-important behavior.

It is exactly this sort of thing that I had in mind when I argued against NH in the FSP state selection process.

Are judges elected in NH?

8. Good for the judge. He deserves a medal.

9. What sort of metal? Lead? At what velocity?

Oh, medal. You think he deserves to be praised? Why? What sort of law and order authoritarian are you?

10. Don't you guys have any lawyers out in Keene? Where was his attorney?

11. Lance,

Ian isn't about to hire someone who has sworn an oath to the state. It's a conflict of interest.

12. Here is the Oath that one must take to practice law in New Hampshire according to teh internetz. I don't see how this oath creates a conflict of interest. Are there no liberty loving lawyers in that part of the country?

CHAPTER 311

ATTORNEYS AND COUNSELORS

Section 311:6

311:6 Oath. – Every attorney admitted to practice shall take and subscribe, in open court, the oaths to support the constitution of this state and of the United States, and the oath of office in the following form: You solemnly swear or affirm that you will do no falsehood, nor consent that any be done in the court, and if you know of any, that you will give knowledge thereof to the justices of the court, or some of them, that it may be reformed; that you will not wittingly or willingly promote, sue or procure to be sued any false or unlawful suit, nor consent to the same; that you will delay no person for lucre or malice, and will act in the office of an attorney within the court according to the best of your learning and discretion, and with all good fidelity as well to the court as to your client. So help you God or under the pains and penalty of perjury.

13. is there an address where we can write to ian available yet?

14. “The tyranny was stifling,” Everett said.

Yeah? Well, the DEFIANCE was f*#(ing inspiring!!!

Thank you for standing up!

15. Obvious screw job. The guy that put the cold steel bracelets on Ian was walking over there BEFORE he was told to have a seat. It was a total set up from the beginning. The guy should have at lease waited for his cue of "have a seat" before he walked over to Ian! A truly tragic story.

16. he got 90 day for contemptand 3 day for the fine, everone in the courtroom could hear and see what was going on in the other room.

17. This civil disobedience will definitely bring more people to New Hampshire.

18. It is no wonder why everyone is rushing for GUNS! I think it is safe to say that we are under attack and the real terrorists are those we put in office. It is REALLY too bad that the majority of the people voting did NOT take Ron Paul's advice and vote THIRD PARTY all the way across the board. It would have sent a strong message. Now it looks like we will have to fight with the kitchen sink and even the couch!

WAKE UP AMERICA!

19. What you are dealing with here is a black robed devil protected my his hired thugs under the color of law. Follow the money trail and have this black robed devil arrested himself and thrown in jail. I can guarantee you that there is not a black robed devil in this country behind the bench, (bank) that is not on the take. How could they function without being on the take in the criminal and fraudulent justUS system we live under today? As it has been said, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

They say crime doesn't pay, but that depends on which side of the bench, (bank) you are sitting on.

20. This makes me want to move to New Hampshire even more than I do now. Unfortunately, until I get more job experience that isn't going to happen. Maybe in another couple of years.

21. This should be sent to Bill O'Reilly and let him investigate this and unleash his wrath on the rope a dope court!

22. Jim Davidson: As usual you people want to respond first with killing others. Yes, that's what YOU said. And you wonder why more people don't join you? Really?

Jason: Stay where you are. We don't need or want you here. We have a society based on laws to preserve life and property. The "liberty" people tout on this site is the "liberty" to cause harm, whether it is to persons (as Jim Davidson suggested) or to cause economic harm through the "junking" of a neighborhood.

If you are in school, stay there. Perhaps you will learn that the laws we have are there because WE want them. The judge merely represents the people in his decisions. And when you violate the law, you are subject to the penalties, no matter what you claim for a philosophy. When you come here, the laws here apply to you.

23. Jim Davidson: As usual you people want to respond first with killing others. Yes, that’s what YOU said. And you wonder why more people don’t join you? Really?

If you're going to take his remark seriously about shooting him, you're being a disingenuous prick.

Jason: Stay where you are. We don’t need or want you here. We have a society based on laws to preserve life and property. The “liberty” people tout on this site is the “liberty” to cause harm, whether it is to persons (as Jim Davidson suggested) or to cause economic harm through the “junking” of a neighborhood.

This is so full of cognitive dissonance I just don't quite know where to begin.

How about this "we" you speak of. Who is "we"? Certainly not me. And I live in New Hampshire. But let me give you the benefit of the doubt: has every resident of the area called "New Hampshire" (barring me) stated their opinion of all these matters to you? If not, do you possess omniscience? I am very much interested in hearing about this.

Moving on, you bring up "society", which makes me tingle. I love society. There is nothing better than it. But this leaves me to wonder– how can you conflate society, which is the sum of all voluntary interactions between individuals with Statism, which is coercive monopoly on a territory? Moreover, how can you tout such a system as "protecting property" when it clearly violates property rights by creating laws that violate property rights? Indeed, the act of taxation alone is an act of institutionalized theft– like a highway man, the government points a gun and says "your money or your life".

Finally, you say that we're violent and wish to hurt people– but this couldn't be further from the truth. We're not the people who "serve" warrants, who demand obedience, who threaten to cart you off to a cold cell if you refuse to play by our model.

Pull your head out of your ass.

Again, with this "we" stuff. Speak for yourself, because I'm doubting that you have the moral or intellectual authority to speak for everyone.

The judge merely represents the people in his decisions.

Impossible. We would either need to accept one of two premises, being that the judge is either capable of calculating the thoughts and opinions of the amalgamation of individuals which you refer to as "the people", or that the judge can possibly represent the amalgamation of individuals known as "the people" without creating a contradiction.

In the first case, it is impossible to calculate human action, and thus, it is impossible for the judge to calculate precisely the opinions of "the people." In the second case, we have the same issue as the first, with the added fact that he can't possibly represent "the people" for the sheer fact that "the people" have myriad of opinions.

This is all very basic and very essential philosophy and legal theory– but I'm sure you knew that, didn't you?

There is something dubious about this line of reasoning– you're assuming precisely which you're trying to prove. This is a tautology, and logically speaking, it's absolute horseshit. Until you can prove the legitimacy of those laws (which are premised on political philosophy! At least, supposedly) your argument here holds no water.

24. The judge’s contact info:

Name : Burke- Edward J. Attorney

Address : 82 Court Street

Zip/Postcode : 03431

Phone : (603)357-4800

Fax : (603)357-4825

25. "Impossible. We would either need to accept one of two premises, being that the judge is either capable of calculating the thoughts and opinions of the amalgamation of individuals which you refer to as “the people”, or that the judge can possibly represent the amalgamation of individuals known as “the people” without creating a contradiction.

In the first case, it is impossible to calculate human action, and thus, it is impossible for the judge to calculate precisely the opinions of “the people.” In the second case, we have the same issue as the first, with the added fact that he can’t possibly represent “the people” for the sheer fact that “the people” have myriad of opinions."

Ditto x 1000! Seriously people if you can understand this then you can understand why government doesn't work. You can't possibly represent every individual, because every individual is unique. Much better for the individual to represent himself, and coincidentally it actually works really well for the whole. Unfortunately I'm afraid this may be beyond our statist friends.

26. Oliver at 76612, "Jim Davidson: As usual you people want to respond first with killing others. Yes, that’s what YOU said. And you wonder why more people don’t join you? Really?"

What did I say? Respond first? Where did I say that?

Given that I did not write those words, what makes you think that's how I wanted people to respond at first, decades ago when freedom was threatened by the arch socialists now in power? Many, many, many other responses have come "first."

Killing people who attack my life, my liberty, or my property is my choice. I'll take that choice when, if, as, and how I please. If you don't recognise a right to use up to deadly force to defend life, liberty, and property, then you are vile putrescence.

27. AnarchoJesse – society makes me tingle, too. No, wait, tinkle. Yeah.

28. JimDavidson: Here are your words

Comment by Jim Davidson

November 15, 2008 @ 1:48 am

What sort of metal? Lead? At what velocity?

Do you own real property, such as land or a home?

By what authority? Do you have a deed? Where is it from? Do any of you work for a living? Just wondering.

29. "As usual, none of you seem mature enough to discuss an issue without name-calling. But that was completely expected." – Oliver, the internet troll.

Pot calling the kettle black aren't we, Oliver? Please, engage in more fallacies. You could feed more people then Jesus did with all the red herrings — a couple more strawman arguments and we'll have a fire to grill'em with.

30. So, Oliver, you were lying. I didn't say anything about how to first respond. I didn't say anything about killing anyone. I asked some questions. These were intended as a light hearted pun on "medal." You are a vicious liar and a nasty statist. You love authority and you want to give the judge a medal. Not only do you want Ian to rot in jail, you very clearly want to hit Ian yourself as hard as you can until he bleeds to death.

Right? I mean, you said you want to give the judge a medal. My inference from your statement is no wilder a reach, no further out of the realm of credibility, than your statement about me.

The problem you authoritarians have is you don't read. You don't like literature. You don't enjoy logic. You don't think critically about anything. All you know how to do is obey, and object to anyone who won't.

When they tell you to shove people into cattle cars, you will. When the government tells you that you must slaughter your neighbors, you will. When the government tells you to torture people to death, you'll do it. You'll do it obediently, gladly, and thoughtlessly. And when someone else in another position of authority comes to the death camp where you've been working shoveling bodies into the ovens, and tells you that what you did was wrong, you'll say, "I was following orders. I am a good American. A good American follows orders."

That defense didn't work at Nuremberg, and it won't work now. But you kiss the judge for us, would ya? He needs extra tongue from you.

31. I own no land. I own no property. The state gives me title to nothing. I have no income. The state gives me nothing. I take nothing from it. I do my best to give nothing to it. I have endless hours of leisure to spend annoying trolls like Oliver. With any luck, this point should penetrate deeply and either drive him mad, or make him want to go elsewhere.

Did I say that I have no wealth? No opportunities? No fun? Not at all.

One of the cleverest tools ever invented is the trust. It is also called a contract. The manager of a trust can have beneficial use of assets without owning them. The nicest thing about a contract: you don't have to register it with anyone.

32. Hey Oliver, it is gestapo types like you that obviously think that government actually works for you. All this man did was dress up a couch on his own property for Halloween; the city cited him because some do-gooder complainer "NIMBY" type pressed the issue. The judge was way out of line for citing him with multiple counts of contempt of court. I know for a fact that if you were in this man's shoes and treated as he was, that you would have acted similarly. There was no excuse for the judges' actions; if he is an elected official, I hope the judge finds himself jobless in the next term; his actions were unconscionable. The man cited did not think he was above the law; the judge obviously did.

By the way, are you in law enforcement? Or are you a lawyer?

33. Nah, you've got Oliver all wrong. Oliver is the neighbor who ratted Ian out. Oliver thinks that what Ian does with Ian's property has an economic affect on Oliver's property. Therefore, Oliver owns Ian's property.

See? He even makes this point in 76612 where he says that Ian has caused him economic harm. Because Ian used Ian's property the way Ian thought best, Oliver ratted him out to the couch police. Now Ian is in jail and Oliver wants to give the judge a medal. Or maybe a dirty Sanchez. A real aristocrat, our Oliver.

34. JimDavidson: Here are your words

Comment by Jim Davidson
    November 15, 2008 @ 1:48 am
    What sort of metal? Lead? At what velocity?

I'm sorry– the disingenuous tone of your post put me on the wrong side of taking you seriously. If you want this to be a serious conversation, it'd behoove you to observe academic rigors and avoid character assaults premised on conjecture and emotion. I feel no reason to give you the benefit of the doubt and treat you like an intellectual equal if you don't give us the same benefit.

Do you own real property, such as land or a home?

I can't seem figure out what this has to do with anything.

35. "So, Oliver, you were lying. I didn’t say anything about how to first respond. I didn’t say anything about killing anyone. I asked some questions."

Talk about a disingenuous! "Lead? At what velocity?" You rate right up there with Rush Limbaugh and his lies followed by "only kidding!" We both know exactly what you meant, but you lie to avoid your own words.

I'm not Ian's neighbor. I'm several miles away. But I find all the hoo-haw over his court appearance amusing… you folks seem to want to be victims, or perhaps martyrs, and when one of you gets your wish, well, then the hyperbole is turned on high.

Most of you don't live here, obviously, since several have asked whether Judge Burke is elected or not. If you lived here you might have a clue. But you think you can tell folks here how they should run their lives and property and neighborhoods.

For what it's worth, I would never have bitched about Ian's couch. I thought it was cute. My neighbors run their property how they wish, as do I, and none of us seems to have any issues other than with some people speeding on our road and endangering walkers. In my town, the only complaints come when trash/junk from one property started falling or blowing onto another and the individuals could not settle the issue. Or if rats or other animals became a problem because of neglect.

I have a neighbor who shoots his rifles and pistols in his back yard. In 8 years it has never been a problem, because he seems competent has a solid backstop, though he starts a little early on Sunday morning for my liking.

But hey, kids, it's been fun. Keep looking for opportunities to be victims, and I'm sure you'll find them. But if you think any of this is "new" or "original" thinking, you're very wrong, and need to read some more.

36. Jesse, it has everything to do with the topic at hand. Oliver thinks that he owns Ian. Therefore, having the state incarcerate Ian over a couch is just what Oliver likes. Oliver also thinks that Ian ought to be beaten up every night until Ian bleeds to death. Oliver said so.

Oliver does not want people to give metal to the judge, he wants them to give a medal to the judge. Because Oliver loves the judge, and the system, and the authority it gives Oliver to sneak around and rat out people who live miles away from him. Oliver is on a power trip.

None of us matter, because we aren't Oliver. Therefore, if we don't live in Keene, we have no interest in seeing justice done. Just because we're interested in liberty, Oliver wants to have us arrested if we come to town. That ought to be great for business, Ollie.

37. By the way, it appears entirely possible that this bureau-rat out-of-towner city planner slime ball is the one who made the "complaint."

She's one of those jerks who get a city planning degree and then come to a community and try to find things to do to the locals. In Crook County, Wyoming, we had one named Fred Duncan come to town. Fred was in a twist about people's septic systems, so now there are new fees and new permits for doing any thing on your land, septic or not. Isn't that great? Aren't city planners wonderful? They take such an interest in planning what to do with other people's property.

Oliver, of course, probably made a follow-up call, because he loves authority so much.

38. How can we send Ian money to make his time pass better? Will Letters get to him? Best way to send things?

39. Would somebody close to Ian please set up a legal defense fund for him. I will contribute to that.

40. Was that Civil or Criminal contempt?

41. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!

I FUCKING HATE JUDGE BURKE HE'S A PIECE OF SHIT! I'VE DEALT WITH HIM SEVERAL TIMES AND ON EVERY OCCASION HE DEMANDS THE RESPECT OF A POPE, WHEN IN FACT HE DOESN'T EVEN DESERVE THE RESPECT OF A STEAMING PILE OF POOP.

IAN FREEMAN IS NO LONGER A FREE MAN, MAN!

• You should go visit Ian and kiss his cock ring.

42. To Jim Davidson: that's quite a steaming pile of lies you left in 76659. All made up from your dank imagination. What's the matter, truth isn't on your side so you have to make up lies?

I have no desire to see any violence or injustice done to anyone, even you. Ian went to court with the decision that he would become a martyr, and he got his wish. Now all of you can moan and groan over his fate, even if he asked for it. Whether you want the system to exist or not, it is there, and if you stand against it you take the chance of paying penalties that are unpleasant. At least don't whine when you get the expected results of your actions. Rev. King and his marchers stood against the system of their time and took the results of their actions like adults.

As for you, Jim, here's a quote from one of my favorite artists.

We're being treated to the wisdom

Of some puffed up little fart

Doing exactly what I used to do

Pretentions to anarchy and art

He speaks the language of a warrior

He mounts his misinformed attack

He wears the clothes of a dissenter

But theres a logo on his back

And its a hollow rebellion

As rebellions mostly are

Its just another raging tempest in a jar

43. Oliver, you are an idiot.

I suggest you go read the writings of Thomas Jefferson and attempt to understand the historical roots of liberty in our country.

Oh wait you love the State, right. Just keep in mind you reap what you sow.

44. No, ASDF (76691), I don't love the State. But I know that it exists and has power. And just as I wouldn't climb into a lion's cage and poke it with a stick and somehow not expect consequences, I won't appear in the State's offices and poke it with a stick unless I am willing and able to take the consequences without childish whining.

I am curious, though. With all the land in this country and elsewhere, why you people have decided New Hampshire is your target. You could have gone somewhere there was no local government and established your own community. Instead you decide that New Hampshire has to be the place? Why not your own home towns?

45. To turn a legal phrase, the court's egregious conduct presents a compelling argument for the JAIL4JUDGES organization. Court oversight is long overdue